Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sunday

Hi

I took photos in town yesterday. I had a great outfit on. I bought lots of photo supplies. I saw Fluffy Bunny. I heard her unique voice as I was walking down Cuba Mall, so I turned and said hi. She was with Rob – does this mean that Stella is back in town?

Fluffy Bunny made me think a lot. But perhaps I think too much.

Today is Sunday, which means it is glorious I-don’t-have-to-have-a-shower day. I can’t be arsed with this daily bathing malarkey, but modern life demands it. Except on Sundays. Yay!

I’ve spent the morning drinking bad coffee – Kenyan and old, but I found it in the cupboard and I am obsessed with using things up, so I grind it anew to make it a little fresher and drink it while trying to discern what it is exactly I don’t like about it. I don’t have the proper vocab to express my palate. From my hanging out with hospo people I am aware that there is a whole nother world of taste with its own vocabulary and etiquette. I am ignorant of this. I just like real good food and wine and coffee and liquor. I am a connoisseur of the sensemelia, however.

Speaking of which, I am all out and have been thinking of what I can do about this, and whether I should do anything about this or not.

So, like I was saying, I have spent this morning drinking bad coffee and working in my study. I’ve got stuff done, but the study now looks like a complete mess.

I was reading an interview with Kathleen Hanna
the other day and I loved this quote:
“She got a gig doing a short thing for MTV, and she needed somebody to do music for it. I lied and said, "Oh, yeah, I play guitar," and I totally didn't know what I was doing. So I locked myself in a room with a 4-track and a guitar I didn't know how to play, and I sat there for an hour trying to tune it and when I finally did I was just crying. But it was really cool, because nobody else would have hired me for something like that, and I needed the money, and it was really fun working with her.”

I often jump in at the deep end and force myself to swim. Some people call it courage. I’m not sure about that. It requires courage, yes, but that’s the means, not the motivation. This quote makes me happy cos my hero throws herself in at the deep end too.

Laters.

Music du jour:
Hope Sandoval: Bavarian Fruit Bread – Something mellow in the morning so as not to disturb my flatmate too much.

Pulp: This is hardcore – Jarvis was a bit unhappy when they made this record. You can tell. But I do love the “Dishes” song.

Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

Laurie Anderson: Mr Heartbreak

Eagles of Death Metal: Peace Love Death Metal – Ass-shakingly good. This album used to be on constant rotation. Now it reminds me of Tim a bit, so I have a slight resistance to listening to it.

No comments: